Almond Oil: 10 Benefits you may not have known!
As soon as I found out I was pregnant, one of the first things I did was try and eliminate as many toxins normally found around the house as I could. My main focus was my skincare/beauty routine. One of the best ways to do this is to incorporate natural organic oils.
Many people have recently discovered the magic of coconut oil, however another excellent oil that is often overlooked is almond oil. Since I can remember, my grandmother and mother have used almond oil as moisturizer and even before pregnancy, I used almond oil for a variety of reasons. Here are a few ways to incorporate almond oil in your beauty routine.
- Facial moisturizer. As I mentioned above, almond oil can be used directly on your face to help moisturize. Almond oil is rich in vitamin e which helps to moisturize your skin. Almond oil can be used daily as well, as it is not as oily as most oils and it is easily absorbed. Coconut oil makes my skin breakout so almond oil is my first choice in a daily facial moisturizer.
- Helps in the disappearance of scars. Because it is rich in vitamin E, Almond oil can also help reduce appearance of scars on your face and other parts of your body if used daily. If you use it as a facial moisturizer, it can also help reduce the look of old acne scars if you have them! If you want a little extra help, burst a vitamin E capsule and mix it with the oil.
- Helps get rid of dark circles under your eyes. While you moisturize and get rid of your acne scars you can also eliminate dark circles around your eyes. If you add a few drops of organic lemon juice you can get an extra boost in lightening dark circles, dark spots and any other hyperpigmentation.
- Helps reduce wrinkles. Another excellent benefit of almond oil is its ability to help fight wrinkles. The vitamin E found in almond oil as well as other antioxidants, help firm your skin and fill in minor lines therefore reducing the appearance of wrinkles and crow’s feet. Almond oil moisturizes the skin which also helps slow down the aging of your skin over time.
- Makeup remover. Almond oil is a safe and natural way to remove makeup without having to use conventional makeup remover wipes or lotions that are high in toxins. Most makeup removers contain Sodium lauryl sulfate which has been linked to cancer, neurotoxicity and skin irritation. (FYI: It is a cheap foaming agent, so it is found in many soaps and shampoos). Almond oil is gentle on the skin and you do not need to use a lot to get the job done.
- Grow your eyelashes. One of my favorite reasons to use almond oil is that it helps grow longer and thicker eyelashes. Just get an empty mascara bottle and clean it out then fill it up with almond oil and apply directly to your lashes. This will also help your lashes from falling out so you will have the appearance of thicker lashes.
- Dry Scalp/Dandruff. Almond oil is not only beneficial for your face, but for your hair as well. If you use almond oil as part of a hot oil treatment, it will help with dry scalp and help you get rid of flakes caused by dandruff. Slightly heat the oil and once it reaches your desired temperature (make sure to test it on your hand so you won’t burn yourself) you can start by massaging your scalp with the oil. For best results, cover your hair and keep oil in for at least an hour.
- Split ends/damaged ends. While you do the hot oil treatment for your scalp and roots, make sure to work your way down to the ends of your hair. The vitamins in almond oil will help condition your hair and it will help prevent future split ends and will also help moisturize and condition already damaged hair.
- Beards! For those men who have beards or even those without, almond oil is a great moisturizer for your face. For beards, almond oil can also be used as a hot oil treatment or used room temperature to help condition your facial hair as well as your skin. For those that shave completely, it is an excellent moisturizer to use after shaving to help with any irritation.
- Helps regulate cholesterol, heart disease and diabetes. If taken orally, almond oil can help in the raising good cholesterol, HDL, while lowering bad cholesterol, LDL. Because it has anti-inflammatory properties, it can also help with cardiovascular disease along with many other health issues. Of course always consult your doctor, but studies have shown that introducing almonds into your balanced diet, will help with regulating blood sugar levels and preventing other diseases. It can even help with weight loss!
There are so many benefits from Almond oil that this post would be way too long if I wrote them all down, but hopefully these 10 have helped convince you to introduce it to your daily routine!